Monday, May 13, 2013

Prayers and Bike Pedals







May 13, 2013
Sziasztok megint! (Hello again!)

It was so awesome to Skype all of you yesterday!! I can't tell you how happy I was to come away from it afterwards. Seeing all of your faces, talking to all of you about my mission and what's going on back at home, I felt rejuvenated and alive and ready to go after that. Thank you for everything you guys do for me. I love you all and it was such a privilege to see you guys once again. Just 7 more months until we get to do that again. :)


I'm not going to write too much today since I already Skyped you guys, but I know that there are some people who follow my blog so I will give them something to read besides my first paragraph. 
 For those who don't know, the current branch that I am in here in Békéscsaba is all run by the elders. There are other people that have callings in the branch, but there aren't very many priesthood holders so the elders are in charge of, well, everything basically. So yesterday I had the privilege to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting. I thought to myself the entire week that I had plenty of time to study for it since I was a missionary and I do these kinds of things all the time. Urrrrrggghhhhh, wrong! I was kept busy this entire week and I didn't have time to really study for my talk until the morning of. Luckily our church service doesn't start until 3 in the afternoon, so I had a little bit of time to collect my thoughts and put together a small talk. But before I even started searching or writing down anything I began with a prayer, asking for guidance from the Spirit of what topic would be best for the branch or what is something that I need to give instruction for someone who would be in the congregation who needed to hear this.

So, I closed by prayer and I began to flip through 'True to the Faith', looking at some of the topics and seeing if anything would catch my eye. For a while, I didn't feel anything. Being me, I was expecting a topic towards the beginning of the book because I can be a little impatient at times. Thankfully my mission has been helping me with that misconception and I continued to flip through the book until I came across the section 'Prayer'. I didn't feel anything immediately from reading the title of the topic, but I felt like I should read the sections that were underneath the title. It wasn't until read the last section 'Receiving Answers to Prayers' that I received a distinct feeling that this was what I was meant to talk about. It was the coolest feeling! I just had a small conformation within my mind 'This is what you need to talk about' and I began writing my talk. It came so easy and simple! Sacrament Meeting finally came and I stood in front of the small congregation that we had and gave my small talk about 'Receiving Answers to Prayers'. After partaking the Sacrament and praying earnestly for the Spirit, I felt like I could have been on top of the world giving that talk. I had so much confidence, knowing that someone in the audience needed to hear this because the Spirit helped me find this topic. No one came up to me afterwards telling me that it was them that needed to hear it, but I felt comfort that what I said, even if there may have been a few grammatical errors in the wording, was exactly what was needed to say. I can honestly say that the Lord work through us, and when He does, it is a remarkable experience. 

Now, almost every week there is something funny that happens to me while I am on my mission. This week it is another 'Bike' experience. Ha ha, just thinking about it right now makes me laugh. First, I have to lead you all up to the point when it happens because none of you will understand why it was so funny to me. So, my companion and I are riding our bikes to church yesterday, him in front and me in the back. We were maybe 2 minutes away from the branch house when I had a thought came to my mind, 'You know, this day is going to be an absolutely wonderful day' thinking about how I was going to give a talk, be with the all of the branch members, Skype with my family, have tacos for dinner (because that's what I was going to eat and I LOVE tacos........just a side note). At the same time, my companion was thinking of an email we had gotten last week that addressed us that if we had any problems with our bikes that we needed to email the Mission Office to let them know what they could do to help. So he was thinking 'Good thing there is no problems with our bikes'.......can you see where this is going? Immediately, after my companion and I had thought these things, I stood up on the pedals of my bike and the right peddle snapped off completely! With the amazing reaction skills that I have (which aren't very good I think) I caught myself from the fall and ran with the bike with the momentum that I was riding at and stopped the bike. Aaaannnnnddd what was I doing when this happened? That's right, I was laughing. Ha ha ha, I could not believe that another bike problem had happened AGAIN! But, this time, something did break from off the bike. In fact, the pedal didn't just fall off, the metal that it was attached to snapped completely off of the bike. Can you believe that?!?! I sure couldn't when I went back to get the piece that fell off and saw that the metal had come off with the pedal. My companion and I just looked at it with amazement. From my companion’s perspective, he said that he heard me kind of yell 'Uuuuuuauaahahhhh!' Kind of like that and he immediately thought, 'Did he run into a bush or something?' Oh man, that was an experience. Now we have to walk everywhere......yyyyaaaaayyyyyy. Látszik milyen izgatott vagyok, hogy most sétálunk mindenhóva. (Seems I’m gonna be excited just to walk!)

Anyways, I hope you like the stories! I sure did, especially when I was the one that all these things happened to. I love my mission, I love my life, I love where I am and I love the Lord. 

Sincerely, 
Magda Elder


No comments:

Post a Comment