Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Teaching the Gospel is one of the best things to be doing!



December 10, 2013

Alright all, 

I am quite impressed with your following up with my quotes. Really 'I'm not even mad, I'm just impressed.' Let's see if you can keep up with this one for the week. (His family guessed correctly the last quote from “Zoolander.”)

'Just when I thought you couldn't possibly get any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!' 

Good luck! And' May the the odds be ever in your favor!'
View from a Castle


I'll start out with some of the questions that you have asked before I go more into some of the stuff that I have for you all. 

1.   Last week I asked what Hungarian’s eat for breakfast.  This week we want to know what YOU eat for breakfast.  (you were a big cereal guy here in the States....)  For breakfast...recently I have just been having jelly on toast and sometimes eggs. I have cereal sometimes from here and there, of course, but they don't have a very big variety sajnos (unfortunately). Today, though, we went to one of our investigators and they actually fed us pumpkin! Remember last year when I told you when I had it? Well, this time they actually seasoned it and put some sweetening in it, which was pretty nice. It actually was good. I was impressed. :)
Breathtaking view


2.  We know that in Hungary you drive on the same side of the road as in America, and that the road signs are random.....   What do most Hungarians use for transportation on a daily basis?  Feet?  Buses?  Trains?  Cars?  Bicycles?  On a daily basis, most people go by foot. Then it depends on the city whether they go more by bike or by bus. For example, in Pécs, most people just used the bus system because it was really nicely set up and it was big enough for people to rather use the buses. It was pretty convenient, as a matter of fact. I liked it. But in Békéscsaba, everyone just used bikes. It was crazy intense how many times I would almost run into people with my bike. There were sometimes traffic jams on bikes! Pretty crazy, huh? People use cars too, but it's not as common, and also in the bigger cities it's inconvenient. Interesting how different the world is over here.
Officially the "Highest part of Hungary" Monument
Hungary in December
 

3.  Do Hungarian families live several generations in one home? (mom, dad, kids, grandparents)     Hungarian families, in some cases, do live in the same home with a few generations. I've seen, pretty often, 3 generations in one home. Interesting, isn't it?
Friends we are teaching (who gave us this tour!)

4.  What are popular activities for the youth at the Hungarian Branches?  Popular activities for the youth in the branch.....mostly they have Játék Est (game night) each week, where we just play games and chill with some of the youth. But that's basically it, to be honest. Some places have other stuff, but Game night is what they all have in common. Just playing board games, ping pong and cracking jokes. 
 
Eger Branch Christmas Party
5.  Have you sung any Christmas Carols in Hungarian yet?  Which one is your favorite?  We are actually going to go caroling this week. It'll be nice, but at the same time, I'm not really excited about the doing it in the cold. I think my favorite, still, even in Hungarian, is Silent Night. I just love that song! Super good! I'll have to sing some hymns and stuff when I get back in Hungarian for you guys. It'll be super kewl. :)
What did you wish Blake? 

6.  What was the funniest thing that happened to you this week? The funniest thing that happened to me this week....I can't really say. Basically there was no one big moment, but Elder Gaytán and I laugh every day super hard! Ha ha, we just always have interesting quotes or little things that we say and we almost start roflmbo (rolling on the floor laughing my butt off) in the middle of streeting. We're super tight and we just have a jolly good time every day. 
Jolly Elves!

7.  What was the most inspiring thing that happened this week?  On a spiritual level, the most inspiring that that happened to me this week was just how the Spirit works through us. We have been recently meeting with a girl around our age and she is open to absolutely everything and is taking everything super well and is reading the Book of Mormon and praying about it also. But what has been unique to see is how the Spirit prompts us to say the things we are meant to say. Because there were times when my companion would start talking about something, which I didn't really think about talking about, but I just went with it, trusting that he was going to take the program in the right direction, and it totally worked at the end!  She understood it completely and I am so glad for what Elder Gaytán brought up and I had a great confirmation while he was talking to just pray for him while he was teaching and all went well.
Tour of  Castles

There's for sure a reason why we go in two's; both are able to receive revelation and if we are both in tune, then the Lord will use us in the way that he needs us. Also, today we were talking about the Plan of Salvation with this girl again, and when we brought up Jesus Christ and how the Atonement is crucial in the plan, I had the most empowering feeling throughout my whole body that what I was saying is true. It was incredible! I don't know if she felt it, but I totally felt it, and I hope she did as well. Those are the times when I have that great conformation that this is exactly what I'm meant to be doing. I love it so much! Teaching the Gospel is one of the best things to be doing. I hope that all of you have opportunities to go with the missionaries and teach with them. Probably one of the most powerful things is being in a room that is filled with the Spirit and being a part of such a program where the Gospel is taught.


It's going to be weird when I go home and this is something that I'm not going to be doing every day.  If the missionaries haven’t asked you to help them in your programs (lessons), go find them! And I, for one, can tell you in advance that if you do that they will be more than willing to find a day when you can help them. Ha ha, I don't think I've ever had that on my mission yet and if it does happen before the time I go home, that will be a moment for the books. :) Totally do it! 

So, I hope this email jabble was a good one. I have a bunch of pictures to send to you all, so hopefully that'll keep you all interested. One of the couples that we have been meeting with wanted to take us yesterday up to the highest peak in Hungary (which was right next to Eger basically) and we were able to see some castles on the way and enjoy the beauty of Hungary. Castles are so dang kewl!!!! That is something that we miss out on in America. So I hope you enjoy, because we sure did. :)

I love you all! Keep it real and 'Don't stop prrraaayin'!' 
Sincerely,
Magda Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment