Monday, February 24, 2014

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid!

February 24, 2014
Hey everybody! 

This week has been one tiring week, that's for sure. And next week looks to be even more tiring! We had our weekly planning last night and after making calls and making arrangements for meeting people, looking for a new apartment, cleaning out the old one AND branch meetings, my companion and I looked at each other and almost burst into laughter having almost every spot in our planned filled out with things to do. It's unbelievable how much stuff we have to do! We have so many investigators that we have to meet with and new ones coming in also! Gah! It's intense, I tell you, intense. But, I can't really complain too much cause I'm pretty sure this is what every missionary wants on his mission. 

Alright, because of lack of time, I'm just going to answer some questions that have been asked and see if these can give you a glimpse of how the week went. 
This is some amazing graffiti we found when walking
through tunnels to get here and there.

1. The strangest thing I ate this week. Actually, this week it was something that I drank. My dear companion, oh how loving he is, made me some Kool-aid from a packet that was sent to him from home.  He had put it into the freezer for it to turn into a Kool-aid freezy. You wouldn't think that this drink would be weird. But just wait! So, I think it was Saturday, when we pulled it out of the freezer; both super excited and looking forward to a refreshing kool-aid frozen beverage after a long day, and after taking the first little spoon full, immediately the sour taste of pink lemonade hit our tongues and our faces contortioned in to that face you get after having a war-head. I was like 'Elder, what did you do to this?' 'I don't know, I just put the powder into the cups, filled it with water and froze it. That's all!' 'Did you put any sugar in it?' '........I thought there was sugar already in it....' ':........Elder..........' Needless to say, the reason for the sourness of the drink was because he forgot to put sugar in the cool-aid. Note to self: DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID! 
This is Rakott Krumpli, made with potato, ham,
boiled egg, sour cream, and of course
Paprika!  We made it ourselves.  I LOVE IT!

2. The funniest thing that happened this week. I'm going to have to say church would be the funniest thing that happened this week. Not because something funny happened in church, but reason being because it was just super entertaining to see at the end of church, when everyone is gone, how church turned out and finally getting a chance to relax and rest. I never really understood till I came to this city how EXHAUSTING it can be to make church the way it is. Making sure that the sacrament is taken care of, the speakers are on time, everyone has their lessons planned for Sunday School, Priesthood, Relief Society, exc. I'm so tired after church every time. But it makes me laugh seeing how tired I am and how other leaders of the church must feel. I'm just helping with a small branch, how much more interesting must it be to have an entire ward or stake to be in charge of! Crazy to think about. And I've come to really respect the other people with their callings in the church that help keep things moving and keep it well structured. Shout out to all you people around the world that have callings! You are all vitally important! 


3. Interesting finding story. The only thing that I have that I can remember was streeting into a girl that was from Poland. Super sweet girl and it was kewl to actually talk in English for a little bit. Unfortunately she wasn't too interested in our message, but she extended appreciation for what we do and respected our opinions. Super nice and now I can say I streeted someone from Poland. :) 


Because of time I will have to cut this short, but I will include some pictures for you guys. My companion and I just got back from whipping actually.
I've been looking forward to the opportunity to whip since the beginning of my mission, but none of my companions have ever had whips and if they did we were never in the mood for doing it.
(Ok, before you start thinking he is a bit weirder than usual; this is his mom’s side note.  Hungarians are well known for their whips.  They were used by shepherds, wranglers and herders.  You are really missing out on the Hungarian experience if you have not got a chance to go “whipping.”) But today we finally went out with my companion’s two whips and I learned how to whip! It's freakin sick!
Sounds like a gun popping off! We were in the main park here in Eger and we both started to get the hang of it and everyone was staring at us ha ha. Little kids came up to watch us as we cracked these things. I remember when Granddad showed me for the first time a Hungarian whip when I was like 12-13 or  something and when I heard the crack my eyes peeled back from being blown away with how kewl that is.
Hopefully I can get one from one of the branch members here. He makes his own whips out of pure leather and sells them for super cheap for the quality that he makes them out of. Totally going to see if I can get one before I leave. I'll have to show you guys how it's done. I got it down pretty well. I'll have to show granddad maybe a thing or two. ;)

Alrighty folks, sorry to end this so early, but I hope you all have a wonderful week and enjoy the time without me while you can! :) 

Sincerely, 
Blakemeister, meister Blake


My costume for Farsang was this awesome soccer jersey!
P.S.  I forgot to tell you that our Branch celebrated Farsang!  Farsang in Hungary may mean many different things: Busójárás (e.g. scaring Winter and Turks away), a final party before Lent, a celebration of the end of winter, and eating lots of really fattening food, like ribboned doughnuts. YUM. But, for Hungarian parents of young children, Farsang means an endless parade of children’s costume, buying/making costumes to outdo everybody else’s and more parties. It’s a fun, yet tiring period, making Lent, with its fasting and self-denial, a lot more appealing.  It’s kinda like a Hungarian Carnival. 
Prepping for Farsang
 Last year I celebrated it in Pec, but this year, I'm in Eger!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment